Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 153
Whats new happening within the hobby
  • arcNETWORK : arcPLANE - arcHELI
      Thanks

Default Whats new happening within the hobby

2016 Is this the year of decline for the RC Hobby? Well it’s that time of year again. Time for club fees etc. Why are clubs loosing members at a staggering rate? My personal opinion is that modellers of the day no longer build but rather assemble ARFs so pride and personal achievement are no longer present as my ARF is just the same as yours perhaps with different power plants and accessories it’s basically the SAME. While the enormous choices of different ARF models are mind blowing the simple fact other than the cost is that should the model meet mother earth it can be replaced with an identical twin within a few days! Have you ever noticed that the modern ARF are built to NOT repair but more so to throw in the bin and get another? We the modeller demanded them to be lighter and now we are paying the price. With the weather the way it is at this time of year some of us would prefer to stay at home where it’s nice and cosy I mean how do you fly a model with frozen fingers and a blustering gale not to mention the mud you have to clean of the car when you get home. Yep some of us will still battle the elements regardless to get our fix as when we are flying there’s no time to worry about the daily problems we face. So what’s the solution you may ask? Many people would say that vendors like HK have contributed in the growth of the hobby but look at your’ e clubs membership. Has it in fact grown or declined? Is it that vendors like HK even with their cheap price of their products allow for tinkering to get their products to work reliably? I know you think I am knocking HK but I just can’t see any real value they have contributed to the hobby here in AU as the simple fact is the hobby is in recession due to the lack of active members in the various clubs within the AU. Perhaps you the modeller are just sick of purchasing their substandard items. May-bee cheap no longer has a place in this hobby! My only suggestion to revive your passion in the RC hobby is to perhaps build your next model, the satisfaction and sense of achievement is much greater than you may think. The joy of watching something you have built with your own hands and simple tools actually fly cannot be measured. Why not give it a GO! I am seriously interested in any of your comments so have your say.

Thanks

Def no builders any more , i put a post up to give away some big air frames on another site with only a handful of people interested , they had to be finished off so i think that the instant gratification is what they want
      3D Hobby Shop Addict
      Current 3DHS Fleet
      40" Edge, 41" Edge 540, 42" AJ Slick - 2 of these suckers, V3 47" Extra SHP in red
      47" Edge, 49" Sukhoi, 48" Vyper, 51" AJ Slick, 57" Extra 330 SC

Others, Sebart Angel 30E,58" Extreme Flight Extra ,48" Extreme Flight MX-S EXP,73" Dolphin Co. MX2, 48" Skywing MXS, 39" Skywing Sbach All nice and clean electrics , and controlled by glitchless DSX9

The Hidden Content are here to help you.
      Hidden Content | Hidden Content is your friend | Hidden Content

Thanks

I'm a builder and have recently acquired some pretty old kits from a deceased estate. Just in the process of cleaning up the man cave so I can get cracking on them. I personally have an interest in scratch building and my grand plan is to eventually get into that side of the hobby. I'll still have my ARF's too - as you said Fredo, with the cost of today's ARF's you can't beat that. The hardest part is either making them look different from the next bloke or getting the weird ones that no one else buys

As for the decline in clubs, I think a large portion of that is the attitude of members. After moving interstate, I joined a fairly large club and met some great fellas but there were a few loud mouths that would stare and drop snide comments all the time. It was really off putting and ultimately I left the club because of that reason. Prior to moving interstate, I was the VP at my old club. We started off with quite a small membership but we experienced some great growth and I put that down to having an effective committee that actively promoted the hobby through fun fly's, comps etc. This was back when HK were only really just coming onto the scene but that did allow guys to try their hand at flying with some cheap gear. Our club supported & promoted our two local hobby stores, so we were able to direct the newbies towards decent gear when they were ready to commit. I do see that as a positive contribution (not from HK actively doing anything but more so our club membership helping people out and getting them going). As a result our membership did grow. We also used the cheap foamy HK stuff to have fun days where we would do things like night flys, limbo or high speed runs into a wheelie bin laying on its side, on the runway (all stuff where you are guaranteed to put it into the ground). That in itself had us all laughing so hard, it hurt. I miss those days, we had such a great time - I'm cracking up just thinking about it

Everywhere is feeling the pinch though. I'm an active wood turner & a close friend of mine runs a supply store for the wood turning community. The past 12 months have literally died in the ass. I'm sure things will pick up again (although I know that doesn't help LHS/local Aus businesses in the short-medium term). I used to shop pretty much exclusively at my old LHS & I was always looked after. I just wish I now had a local like that. Only speaking from my experiences Fred (& I'd love to hear your thoughts on this), I think businesses really need to have an up-to-date online store to remain competitive in today's marketplace. I'm sure the monopoly held by importers doesn't help your bottom line either, especially with them retailing online as well That has had a negative influence on the hobby imo, due to decent LHS's having to close up shop. HK's cheap prices for cheap gear has also changed people's perception of what decent gear actually costs. From a business point of view, I can see how that has negatively affected the AUS marketplace.
      Regards,
      Steve

The Hidden Content are here to help you.
      Hidden Content | Hidden Content is your friend | Hidden Content

Thanks

Competing on the internet is only for the wholesalers as they dictate the final price of the product. I don’t know of any wholesalers who don’t have a retail front anymore. For example take Model flight in SA who offer free shipping on items over $200.Their wholesale branch O.M.P gladly ship wholesale products to retailers but always include freight charges. I may have to investigate the perk of registering my business as a non- profit religious group like Hobbyzone here in Vic so the GST and duties are not included in the purchase or sale of any products. Yes times are changing and the demise of the LHS is inevitable. I clearly remember many years ago that rc hobby were non-existent and back yard businesses like Dick steel and Keith follet were the only available place to purchase model products. Yes we had Model Dockyard and Herns hobbys but a train to the City took half a day. I am a member of several clubs and disappointed with the way the hobby has declined and the short sightedness of the committees that administer their policies. One club I fondly remember we used to have a mid-Saturday gathering where we would fly as normal and when the sun went down we would light up the barby and fire .Eat a hearty meal and babble on and fix all world problems with a bourbon or three then regroup for a red neck fly with flashlights unless you had a night flier . We flew till we could no longer and around 2am we bunked down for a sleep sobering up for the drive home mid next day. A great time was had and this was done once every month until the new committee or fun police was elected and this and all the fun seemed to diminish with new club rules in place. Now this particular club doesn’t allow helicopters and IMAC type models nor quads to fly there. Pity! I don’t frequent this and the other clubs any more as I have leased a property where I and my friends can simply have fun with whatever rc passion they have and not be bound by some of the ridiculous rules committees dream up. We fly very safe and respect each other’s passion. My field caters for all forms of RC and includes a 1/5 off road car track. My main runway is 200 meters long, a little bumpy as I am unable to have it rolled because of the poor weather. I simply call this place RC Paddock https://www.facebook.com/groups/884426434960889/
      Sorry to get of the topic but I tend to ramble a bit as I have been in this wonderful hobby for a very long time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fredo For This Useful Post:

Radials Rool (10-10-2016)